Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Incorrect 1099 Amount and Many Unfiled Taxes

Here is a crazy one! Let's say I have been in a cave since 2000. In this cave I was employed by others and received W2's, mostly. The cave does not have the facilities to complete and send tax forms. I recently came out of the cave and now I have a desire to correct my previous lack of effort. I went to the IRS local office and they have provided me with my tax information as well as some counsel.

Here are some of the details:

I always claimed 0
I have two children however the mothers claims them, I have both children physically half time however the mothers have a slight higher percentage of custody.
I have never owned a home.
I have had miscellaneous HSA and other company type programs, mostly in the recent years. I can't remember if I had an IRA/401k in 2000, maybe.
I am unemployed, laid off since Oct 27, 2010. Collecting unemployment.
I don't seem to have to many deductions or assets to complicate the tax process.
I have not filed my taxes since 1999.

2010 $55 k, I did a 1040 EZ and calculated a return of $2077. TurboTax found additional money and calculated $2478.
2009 $67 k, the IRS told me I needed to fill out 1040A with Sch M. I tried and got lost on the Sch M? Around $1000 return.
2008 $66 k, IRS said 1040 EZ (NOT CALCULATED)
2007 $69 k, IRS said 1040 EZ (NOT CALCULATED)
2006 $28 k, IRS said 1040 EZ (NOT CALCULATED)
2005 $44 k, IRS said 1040 EZ (NOT CALCULATED)

2004 $17 k from a W2, IRS said 1040 sch C, sch SE ....... I briefly worked with a cousin and should have received a 1099. The IRS has informed me they understand I received $11k from my cousin. I disagree but unfortunately my cousin recently died and I have no known recourse to clear this up. IRS worker stated this will likely result in over $6k in taxes and then penalties added. (NOT CALCULATED)

2003 For some reason the IRS lady did not give me the information but informed me that my cousin sent a similar 1099 for a similar amount on my behalf. Again I disagree. (NOT CALCULATED)

2002, 2001 and 2000 The IRS lady said was to old to claim and did not give me any information. My understanding is the last time I turned in a tax return was in 1999!!!! (NOT CALCULATED)

I spoke with a nationally advertised tax service, they require $1700 to proceed. That is not possible at this point since I am unemployed and my savings have been depleted.

My questions:

1. How can I reduce the amount reported by my now deceased cousin on the 2003/4 1099's?

2. Would it be best to find a tax attorney to do this work?

3. And would there be enough of a return for an attorney to be paid from the return?

4. Since I know less about taxes than anyone you know and in case I missed a good question I would appreciate any advice you can give me to move forward getting this resolved?

Sincerely .... Thank You

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Incorrect SSN on 1099, what do I do? giannamarie Income 1 03-23-2010 03:30 PM
We received an incorrect 1099 misc after filing our taxes shearon Income 1 02-28-2010 02:17 PM
incorrect 2005 withholding amount sodhog42 Income 0 07-03-2009 04:33 PM
Back Taxes, Unfiled Returns, Need Advice LetsRoll108 Income 0 02-02-2009 12:23 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning