Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

» Welcome
Ask TaxGuru is a free online US tax resource and support community, with helpful features such as Local Tax Professional Search, Tax Tips, Tax Calculators, Free Downloads and Resources. Join our growing community to access all features. Registration is fast, simple and easy!

IRS issues a Scam Phone Calls Alert! IRS Identifies Five Easy Ways to Spot Suspicious Calls
Oct 15, 2014 - 6:33 PM - by TaxGuru
The Internal Revenue Service issued a consumer alert today providing taxpayers with additional tips to protect themselves from telephone scam artists calling and pretending to be with the IRS.

"These callers may demand money or may say you have a refund due and try to trick you into sharing private information. These con artists can sound convincing when they call. They may know a lot about you, and they usually alter the caller ID to make it look like the IRS is calling.... [Read More]
IRS offers "2014 Summertime Tax Tips"!
Sep 30, 2014 - 6:40 PM - by TaxGuru
According to the IRS. "If you, your spouse or a dependent are heading off to college, then there are several potential tax credits available to you (as shown below)."

The IRS offers several important facts you should know about education tax credits. These are described by the IRS as follows:

1) American Opportunity Tax Credit.
The AOTC can be up to $2,500 annually for an eligible student. This credit applies for the first four years of higher... [Read More]
Does amending state require amending federal?
Sep 24, 2014 - 4:44 PM - by Desperado
My wife and I, married filing jointly, will have to amend our 2011 and 2012 California tax returns. This will ultimately result in about a $600 refund from CA. Will we have to restate our 2011 and 2012 federal tax returns? In particular, must we have amend line 5 of 1040 Schedule A (state income tax deduction) or the "taxable refunds, credits,..." entry on line 10 of 1040? Or should we declare the refund in the tax year we receive it, i.e., 2014 or even 2015?

... [Read More]
Deductibiliy of Work Travel Expenses
Sep 15, 2014 - 3:17 PM - by robbob10
Question regarding the deductibility of airfare I incur while traveling for work. My job is one month on, one month off, and is a three hour flight from where I reside when I am not working. I am responsible for my airfare payments to and from the job site each month.

Are these deductible as a business expense? Or would they be considered part of my "commute," and as a result, be non-deductible?
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning