Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2010, 08:04 AM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,413
Blog Entries: 3
When should the taxpayer file Form 8857 Request for Innocent Spouse Relief?

The IRS has suggested that the taxpayer should file "Form 8857 Request for Innocent Spouse Relief" as soon as they become aware of a tax liability for which they believe only their spouse or former spouse should be held responsible. The following are some of the ways you may become aware of such a liability.

1. The IRS is examining your tax return and proposing to increase your tax liability.

2. The IRS sends you a notice.

However, you must file Form 8857 no later than 2 years after the first IRS attempt to collect the tax from you that occurs after July 22, 1998. For this reason, the IRS suggests that taxpayers "do not delay filing because you do not have all the required documentation."

It is worth noting that the IRS instructions state that the IRS "must contact your spouse or former spouse and there are no exceptions, even for victims of spousal abuse or domestic violence. The IRS states that they will inform your spouse or former spouse that you filed Form 8857 and will allow him or her to participate in the process. If you are requesting relief from joint and several liability on a joint return, the IRS must also inform him or her of its preliminary and final determinations regarding your request for relief."

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Tax Form is used to claim the Innocent Spouse TaxGuru Divorce Tax Issues 0 01-22-2010 07:53 AM
Which Taxpayers qualify for the "Innocent Spouse Relief?" TaxGuru Divorce Tax Issues 0 01-22-2010 07:45 AM
How can a taxpayer request copies of prior year tax returns? TaxGuru General 0 12-03-2007 10:39 AM
How does a C corporation file an extension request? Roberto C-Corporation 1 03-14-2007 01:16 PM
How does one file an extension to file request? vanngo Miscellaneous 1 01-29-2007 10:27 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning

» Recent Tax Q&A
No Threads to Display.