Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Calif.
Posts: 1
How long Do I have to file?

I live in Calif, and work as a contractor. I recently was sent a notice from the state that I needed to file my 2006 return. They then sent me a notice to pay where they figured out my deductions and such, and now they say I owe and need to pay. I thought I had 3 years to file! That leaves me until the end of the year, doesn't it? Any tips? I've been on hold for 30 or so minutes with their "help line".

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2009, 12:48 PM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,413
Blog Entries: 3
You are required to file within 3 1/2 months following the end of the tax year! Thus, your 2006 Tax Return would be due April 15, 2007, however you could request a 6 month extension, which would take you till October 2007.

I am not sure where you got this idea that you had 3 years to file your tax return, or that the due date for your 2006 tax return was 3 years, leading you to incorrectly believe that you had till the end of the 2009 to file that tax return.

Unfortunately, the problem is that you did not consult a tax professional and now you would be assessed late filing penalty, late payment penalty and interest on the late payment. I am hoping that you have at least paid the estimated taxes related to your 1099-Misc income generated in 2006.

Now, the Federal and State (CA) will prepare a tax return simply based on your 1099-Misc income without giving you any deductions that you are entitled.

So, I would strongly advise you to contact a CPA or other Tax Professional that you may have been dealing with and have them immediately prepare your 2006 tax return. The tax professional will certainly take all the deductions and exemptions that you are entitled under the law and this will definitely lower your tax liability for 2006!

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Long should a Taxpayer keep his Corporate Tax Records? TaxGuru C-Corporation 0 07-02-2009 10:23 AM
How long is the NJ Tax Amnesty available to taxpayers? TaxGuru New Jersey 0 06-11-2009 02:57 PM
How Long Should It Take To Receive Your Tax Refund? TaxGuru For 2008 0 04-27-2008 06:44 PM
How long do I have to roll over a retirement distribution? Kathy IRA/Sep 2 08-22-2007 09:45 AM
How long must I keep my accounting and tax records etc? chrisk C-Corporation 0 05-16-2007 09:06 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning