Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2015, 09:38 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 0
Exclamation Correct W-4, incorrect witholding

Hi there!
I have a question that is less about what to do and more about how taxes work. The question is: If you fill out your W-4 correctly and choose the correct amount of personal allowances for your situation and your personal situation remains unchanged (no marriage, no kids, no out of pocket business expenses, no charitable gifts, literally nothing), then how can you end up owing Federal taxes for that year?

Ex: I'm unmarried, work full time and have no dependents. I enter "2" on my W-4 and check the "single" box. By the end of the year nothing has changed. When I do my taxes, I owe $300 to Federal.

How is this possible? If I put the correct amount of personal allowances (also being single with no dependents shouldn't they tax me basically as high as possible?) shouldn't the correct amount of $$ be withheld from my paycheck? If my personal/financial situation hasn't changed, then what has changed on the IRS side?

I understand that you can use tax worksheets provided by the IRS to project your taxes and then designate an extra amount of $$ to come out of your check to try and curb that but why should I have to do that if I'm filling out everything correctly?

Thank you!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dealing with Puerto Rico Witholding for Non-Resident Contractor KarlK For 2014 0 12-17-2014 12:36 PM
Correct 1096 curioste Filing Requirements 1 01-21-2014 06:52 PM
quaterly witholding irs sarb007 Limited Liability Company 1 12-05-2013 12:06 PM
Live in CA...employer is in CT and my State witholding is in CT.. which state to file duck Income 1 03-06-2009 06:56 PM
How do I correct a 1096 Form Jill C-Corporation 3 02-14-2009 01:54 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning