Foreign National Reidency Military Question
I have a tough question that is not easy to research. I will try to lay every detail out I can. Thank you in advance for the help.
- I am a U.S. Citizen, Active Duty and a Resident of California for tax purposes, home of record.
- She is a Japanese National with a green card, from our marriage.
- We married in 2012 in Jacksonville NC and lived there until Dec 2014.
- We then moved to Japan. Dec 2014 to July 2017.
- We now live in Hawaii.
- Hawaii is the first location we have lived that she has worked and gained income.
- Since 2012 we have always filled joint and have always filled CA taxes, because that is my resident state and she wasn?t working.
The residency tax questions:
Is she a CA resident by default from the marriage?
Is she a NC resident because that is the first state she lived in the U.S.?
Is she a HI resident because it?s the first state she earned money in?
Thanks for the help. I just need to know what state of residence she is, as it pertains to taxes, in order to file 2017 State taxes.