Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2017, 06:56 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
Unhappy Offset??? - (us Dept Of Education)???

So I filled my taxes and waited and a few days later my refund was approved and all I had to do was wait..Well in the midst of all that waiting I finally got an update and then this is what It says:

"Your refund has been applied to a past due obligation such as child support, another federal agency debt, or state income tax. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS), who issues IRS refunds, will send you a notice informing you of the reduction.

If you do not receive the notice within two weeks contact the Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) at 800-304-3107.
Please read the following information related to your tax situation:
Tax Topic 203, Refund Offsets for unpaid child support and certain federal, state, and unemployment compensation debt

OK so I called the number went through the prompt and stuff and got an answer STUDENT LOANS . . . How can I fix this reverse this..somethin.

Is there any way to recover any if not all of my refund.. I'm on government assistance, I have a 1yr old , and a 6yr, and I'm basically homeless with my kids crammed at my mom's, strapped tight for cash.. please someone must know a way to help , who to call, what to say, something cuz I'm at wit's end here.

Many thanks everyone. Peace

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2017, 11:53 AM
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,241
If you are having tax problems and have not been able to resolve them with the IRS, the Taxpayer Advocate Service may be able to help you. And thier service is free;

aslongas a levy on your wages, bank, or other account is causing a hardship, then you need to contact the IRS at the telephone number on the levy or correspondence immediately and explain your financial situation. An economic hardship occurs when he irs has determined the levy prevents you from meeting basic, reasonable living expenses. In order for the IRS to determine if a levy is causing hardship, the IRS will usually need you to provide financial information so be prepared to provide it when you call. If the levy on your wages is creating an immediate economic hardship, the levy must be released. If the levy on your bank account or other account is creating an immediate economic hardship, the levy may be released. You should be aware that if you file jointly with your spouse and she is in a situation where her tax refund will be seized, yours will be seized as well. Luckily, there are a couple of things your spouse can do to hold on to her share of the refund:If she files her taxes as married filing separately, she doesn?t have to worry about this issue. her refund will be safe and your spouse must bear the burden of her financial issues alone.If she wants to avoid having her part of the refund seized, she can file for ?injured spouse relief? in order to make her case to the IRS that she paid her own share of taxes and didn?t have anything to do with the situation. She must have her own income and has made tax payments or had taxes withheld from that income, and she must be expecting a refund of at least some of those taxes that she paid on her own income.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax Refund Offset [email protected] Miscellaneous 1 02-22-2017 12:03 AM
complex tax offset Thompson 1221 Income 0 06-22-2013 01:36 PM
FMS Offset to refunds nodozela Miscellaneous 1 01-28-2011 06:34 AM
Five Ways to Offset Education Costs Samatg For 2009 0 02-12-2010 11:34 PM
Offset Education Costs Samatg General 0 03-15-2007 07:54 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning