Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
Tax Refund Offset

Hello. I received a notice that my wages and/or tax refund may be garnished. I was given a specified amount of time to submit documentation proving financial hardship which I did. I received notification that my hardship was approved. I also entered into loan rehab program and started making payments on time. I was told that this would prevent any garnishments. I filed my tax return then found out my entire refund was taken. I am a struggling single mom who receives no child support. I was depending on that money to pay bills and survive. I have been researching for days about ways to request a hardship which they say is difficult but possible. Do you know if I have any recourse? I'm desperate and don't know where to turn or what to do. Thank you.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2017, 12:03 AM
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,239
If you owe back taxes but are experiencing financial hardship, the IRS might agree to release your refund rather than applying it toward elimination of your tax debt. You can make a hardship request if your only debt subject to refund offset is federal taxes and if you make the request prior to filing the return for the tax year for which you?re due a refund. The IRS has no authority over non-tax related debts, such as child support or other federal or state agency debts;you may obtain IRS Form 911 from the IRS website. You?ll use this form to request assistance from the taxpayer advocate office. This is an IRS office, but advocates work as an intermediary between taxpayers and the IRS to ensure your concerns are addressed and your case is processed appropriately. This is a free service and you?ll have a direct method to reach your agent, versus using the toll-free IRS call center method of contact. Only taxpayer advocates may process hardship requests for refunds. You need to Submit Form 911 to the local office in person or by fax. The address and fax number for each office is listed in the publication. This opens your case with your Taxpayer Advocate office, and you?ll receive a phone call from your agent when he is ready to start working on your case. Most agents are ready to start your case within two business days of receiving your request

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to tell if my 1098-T will earn me any education credit refund, or make me lose my refund? ayelynn Miscellaneous 1 01-25-2017 07:40 AM
Refund offset help syloris Income 3 02-10-2015 03:16 AM
complex tax offset Thompson 1221 Income 0 06-22-2013 01:36 PM
FMS Offset to refunds nodozela Miscellaneous 1 01-28-2011 06:34 AM
Can IRS offset my tax refund to collect income tax debts owed to California State? Pearl California 1 10-04-2008 09:29 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning

» Recent Tax Q&A
No Threads to Display.