Living abroad, which State do I file in?
- My wife and I are both Americans that moved to Europe end of 2014.
- Wife has a work visa working for a foreign company, with that income going to our foreign bank account.
- I'm self-employed/freelance working from home in Europe, but only for US companies from which I receive 1099-MISC income that goes into our US bank account.
- The last state we lived in was CA, where we own a home that we make rental income on.
- I use my parent's mailing address in VA as the address for US credit cards, banks, and to receive checks and 1099-MISC forms to be forwarded to me in Europe.
1. I'm already filing CA state taxes because of our rental property there, but do I also need to file VA state taxes even though I never worked or lived there but only used it as a mailing address?
2. The offices of the US companies I worked for are all in CA, but their headquarter addresses listed on the 1099-MISC's they sent me are all in various East Coast states where their accounting departments are. When filing my CA return, do I report this income as earned from "business conducted in CA"?
3. Since I worked entirely from home in Europe, should any of my US earned income be considered as earned or "conducted" in either CA or VA?
Thanks for anyone's help!
Last edited by TommC : 04-11-2016 at 01:23 PM.