Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2014, 04:11 PM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,413
Blog Entries: 3
How does a Taxpayer notify the IRS of any address change that occurs during the tax year??

There are several ways available to a taxpayer to inform the IRS of a potential change in the taxpayers address. These are as follows:

1.Tax return
The Taxpayer may use the new address on the "current tax return".

2. IRS form Use Form 8822
The Taxpayer may inform the IRS of an address change by filing out the "Change of Address or Form 8822-B. "

3. Written statement.
The Taxpayers may send a signed written statement with the following information as follows :
  • Full name
  • Old address
  • New address
  • Social Security number
4.Call the IRS.
The Taxpayer can either call the IRS by telephone or go in person and inform the IRS of an address change. Of course the IRS will need to "verify the taxpayers identity and address" so taxpayers are requested to have the necessary verification information necessary such as:
  • Taxpayer's full name
  • Taxpayers address
  • Taxpayers Social Security number
5. Electronic notification
The Taxpayers can also notify the IRS electronically if the taxpayers refund check was returned back to the IRS. Taxpayers are advised to "Use Where's My Refund? to complete your change of address online. Again, the Taxpayers are required to provide their "Social Security number, filing status and the amount of your refund."

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looks like a change in the tax code is possible before end of year! Changes will affect Middleclass Taxpayers bigtime! BayArea_CPA CPA Forums 0 05-05-2011 05:16 PM
Amending S Corporation due to 1 partner address change, what's the procedure? SusanT_NYCPA CPA Forums 0 01-27-2010 10:32 AM
How can I notify the IRS of my new home address? TaxGuru Miscellaneous 0 09-18-2009 11:07 PM
change of address for s-corp scorpguy S-Corporation 0 06-21-2009 03:13 AM
What address can a NJ Taxpayer walk-in, pay and file their delinquent taxes? TaxGuru New Jersey 0 06-08-2009 09:34 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning

» Recent Tax Q&A
No Threads to Display.