Welcome Guest. Register Now!  



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
1065- how to report expenses and depreciation related to holding property for investment

Hi,

I bought properties that I need to fix up and dress up so I can sell them for a reasonable profit in the future. I have other rental properties but I have no intention to rent out these holding properties due to repair and dismal rental market in their locations. Are the expenses related to repair and renovation as well as depreciation can be treated as trade or business activities. These expenses and depreciation should just go to the first page of the 1065.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

John369



Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2013, 05:34 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by john369 View Post
but I have no intention to rent out these holding properties due to repair and dismal rental market in their locations. Are the expenses related to repair and renovation as well as depreciation can be treated as trade or business activities. These expenses and depreciation should just go to the first page of the 1065.




John369

Partnerships use Form 8825 to report income and deductible expenses from rental real estate activities, including net income (loss) from rental real estate activities that flow through from partnerships;
Do not report on Form 8825 any income or deductions from a trade or business activity or a rental activity other than rental real estate and on Form 1065 SCh K line 2, Net rental real estate income (loss).



Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
1065-depreciation and expenses related to holding properties for investment

Hi Wnhough,

Thanks for the prompt response. I like to confirm that depreciation and expenses related to repair and renovation for a property holding for future resale are Trade or Business activities. Hence, I should report them on the Deduction Section of the first page of 1065. I would have no income or capital gain until I sell the property which may still be a year or two away.

Thanks,

John369



Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by john369 View Post
Hi Wnhough,

Thanks for the prompt response. I like to confirm that depreciation and expenses related to repair and renovation for a property holding for future resale are Trade or Business activities. Hence, I should report them on the Deduction Section of the first page of 1065. I would have no income or capital gain until I sell the property which may still be a year or two away.

Thanks,

John369
Partnership needs to start with Form 4562, one per property, where depreciation is calculated and reported. From line 22 of 4562, the depreciation numbers flow to line 14 of Form 8825. On 8825, depreciation gets mixed with other expenses and offset against rental income. The bottom line of Form 8825 (line 21) gets distributed between partners and ends up on Lines 2 of their respective K-1s. Enter the net income (loss) from rental real estate activities of the partnership from Form 8825. Generally, the income (loss) reported in box 2 is a passive activity amount for all partners. However, the income (loss) in box 2 is not from a passive activity if you were a real estate professional and you materially participated in the activity.As the partnership had more than one rental real estate activity, it will attach a statement identifying the income or loss from
each activity. Depreciation is "built into" these numbers and is not separately reported. On personal returns of the partners, depreciation will not be separately visible. It will end up on 2nd page of Sch E, buried inside total gain/loss transferred from the partnership via K-1.
NOTE; On line 16a ofm form 1065, you need to, enter only the depreciation claimed on assets used in a trade or business activity. Enter on line 16b the depreciation included elsewhere on the return (for example, on page 1, line 2) that is attributable to assets used in trade or business activities. You need to complete and attach Form 4562 only if the partnership placed property in service during the tax year or claims depreciation on any car or other listed property.



Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Orlando, FL 32801
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by john369 View Post
Hi,

I bought properties that I need to fix up and dress up so I can sell them for a reasonable profit in the future. I have other rental properties but I have no intention to rent out these holding properties due to repair and dismal rental market in their locations. Are the expenses related to repair and renovation as well as depreciation can be treated as trade or business activities. These expenses and depreciation should just go to the first page of the 1065.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

John369
Regarding the expenses related to repair and renovation as well as depreciation then you ask the buyer to have a pay for it as if you'd invested your money on that house and while selling it you include what ever expenses you had put tin to renovate it.
can be treated as trade or business activities.


Last edited by TaxGuru : 12-17-2013 at 08:06 PM.


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
Ads
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question related to home office expense and depreciation and energy credit jbiniowa Sole-Proprietorship 0 02-20-2010 07:13 PM
Work related expenses-what can I deduct? ctharden Itemized Deductions 0 12-21-2009 01:15 PM
Job related medical expenses clfarms Sole-Proprietorship 0 04-06-2009 04:51 PM
Report Expenses Related To 1099 Income n8scstm Income 3 01-04-2009 05:31 PM
How can I deduct unreimbursed job related expenses on my tax return? JimiGood Miscellaneous 1 02-24-2007 11:38 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 
Individual
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 
Corporations
 » Payroll
 
Forum for CPAs
 
Financial Planning