What to pay first?
I'd appreciate guidance regarding what I should pay first. (The shutdown is making it difficult to get info from the IRS on this.)
Details of my situation:
- I'm self-employed.
- I had a federal extension for 2012 -- just filed (on 10/3) and I owe $$.
- I haven't paid my 2013 estimated taxes yet.
- I was in noncollectible status for $$ owed for 2009 and 2010, but they just sent me a letter saying it's due by the end of the month.
- I formed an LLC in 2013, so I don't want anything to mess up the good status of that entity.
- If I go to do a payment plan through the IRS website, it's only accounting for the 2009 and 2010 taxes.
I don't have enough funds to pay ALL of these taxes at the moment, but I want to get on top of it all and get current ASAP. For anything other than the standard installment payment that I could set up automatically on their website, I'm going to have a problem since the offices are closed.
What's the recommended way to tackle this?
- The most recent year first?
- The oldest year first?
- Pay off what I can on 2012 before the extension deadline in a few days, set up a payment plan for 2009 and 2010, and then pay 2013 by April 15?
- Send a letter explaining the situation, and deal with it after the shutdown?
- Something else?