Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2
How does a capital loss carry-over from an amended return?

I own stocks that became worthless in 2009 but I forgot to enter them in my 2009 tax return as a capital loss (purchase price was about $4K in 2007).

The IRS website says you can amend capital losses from worthless securities within 7 years of the loss:
Publication 17 (2012), Your Federal Income Tax

For the tax years of 2009 - 2012 it did not matter since I did not have any significant net capital gains. However, for the 2013 tax year I do expect to have a capital gain. Can I amend my 2009 return and then somehow carry over the loss all the way and use it in 2013?

Thank you!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sale of partnership interest at a loss: Can I claim this loss on my tax return? jcp1376 Income 1 10-07-2011 04:14 AM
Capital Loss carryover in an individual multi-state return hdh5 Capital Gains 3 04-05-2011 10:11 PM
Capital loss carryover in a multi state return hdh5 Capital Gains 2 03-30-2011 10:48 AM
Prior year carry over loss for Rental Real Estate jbbryant Rental Real-Estate 1 02-06-2009 09:17 PM
Form 6781 and line 6 (whether to carry back loss) 6781 Capital Gains 0 08-05-2007 01:45 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning