Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2018, 09:59 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Wnhough View Post
you need to complete Form W-7 only if the Social Security Administration notifies you that a SSN cannot be issued. By law, an alien individual cannot have both an ITIN and a SSN. You should complete Form W-7 as soon as you are ready to file your federal income tax return, since you need to attach the return to your application. You can call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040 if you are in the United States. If you are outside the United States, call 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number) for information and help in completing your Form W-7.

As you know, ITINs are for federal tax reporting only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers. An ITIN does not: authorize work in the U.S. Provide eligibility for Social Security benefits;qualify a dependent for Earned Income Tax Credit Purposes.
Thanks for your response. I?m aware that SSN and ITIN can?t be issued for the same person. I?m asking for my wife?s ITIN application since she has never entered US. How can I file the W7 application for her since the form clearly asks for the entry to US date ?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Filing Tax jointly for dependant spouse with H4 visa ds262 New Jersey 0 04-13-2011 05:22 PM
Married Filing Sperately v. Jointly jtmiller Income 1 02-22-2011 05:27 AM
If a taxpayers is in divorce proceedings, can they file jointly with their spouse? TaxGuru Divorce Tax Issues 0 09-29-2009 08:24 PM
filling jointly bigwake1 Limited Liability Company 1 03-19-2009 12:13 AM
Is it allowable to amend from married filing jointly to filing separately? Walshloesch Divorce Tax Issues 0 02-19-2009 03:16 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning