Welcome Guest. Register Now!  


New York NY


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2013, 01:27 PM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,397
Blog Entries: 3
New York State to Suspend Driver’s Licenses of Tax Delinquents!

New York State Governor Andrew M. Cuomo recently announced "a new initiative Monday to encourage individuals who owe significant back taxes to the state to pay their bills by suspending their New York State driver licenses when their past-due tax liability exceeds $10,000."

According to New York State, this "crackdown is the result of legislation introduced as part of the executive budget and signed into law earlier this year." The New York Governor stated that "tax scofflaws who don’t abide by the same rules as everyone else are not entitled to the same privileges as everyone else."

“These worst offenders are putting an unfair burden on the overwhelming majority of New Yorkers who are hardworking, law-abiding taxpayers. By enacting these additional consequences, we’re providing additional incentives for the state to receive the money it is owed and we’re keeping scofflaws off the very roads they refuse to pay their fair share to maintain.”

The new initiative is estimated to increase collections in the Empire State by $26 million this fiscal year and as much as $6 million annually thereafter.

“It’s in every taxpayer’s best interest to pay all tax bills in full,” said Commissioner of Taxation and Finance Thomas H. Mattox. ”If you can’t pay in full, our staff is available to help you arrange a payment plan that will satisfy your debt.”

The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance will send the first round of 16,000 suspension notices to delinquent taxpayers, who have 60 days from the mailing date to arrange payment with the Department. If the taxpayer fails to do so, the Department of Motor Vehicles will send a second letter providing an additional 15 days to respond. If the taxpayer again fails to arrange payment, their license will be suspended until the debt is paid or a payment plan is established.

A taxpayer who drives while the suspension is in effect is subject to arrest and penalties, Cuomo’s office noted. Those with a suspended license can, however, apply for a restricted license, which allows them to drive to work, and return directly home. In New York State, 96 percent of taxes are paid by businesses and individuals who voluntarily meet their tax responsibilities, Cuomo’s office noted. The remaining 4 percent is collected through the tax department's audit, collections and criminal investigations programs.

__________________
Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
Ads
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Truck Driver Incorporating phldaniel For 2013 0 06-02-2013 10:48 PM
All employers in New York State (other than government agencies) are now required to provide each of their New York employees with an annual Notice under the New York State Wage Theft Prevention Act. TaxGuru New York 0 01-31-2012 04:42 PM
Software Licenses Cathie Depreciation 1 02-09-2011 01:45 AM
Will New York State mail me a Form 1099-G, Statement for Recipients of State Income Tax Refund for 2010? TaxGuru New York 0 01-26-2011 11:37 AM
Latest on New York State Multi-State Corporation Tax Issues TaxGuru New York 0 07-22-2008 04:37 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 
Individual
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 
Corporations
 » Payroll
 
Forum for CPAs
 
Financial Planning