Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1
Auto Self Employed Business Expense

I am classified as a minister, but recently took a new position as Coordinator of an Association of churches. I receive a salary for the administrative part of this job. However, my employer does not reimburse me for travel and speaking at other churches. I receive reimbursement and honorarium from these churches. I have one automobile that I use for both these business trips and for personal use. Can I deduct the IRS allowable mileage of 50.5 cents a mile for these trips with the car? And if so what kind of records do I need to keep?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 PM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,413
Blog Entries: 3
The IRS has stated that beginning January 2008, the standard mileage rate used for personal cars - which also include mini vans, pickup trucks, SUVs, and panel trucks - will be as follows:

-14.0 cents per mile driven in the service of charitable organizations.

-19.0 cents per mile driven for medical reasons or moving purposes.

-50.5 cents per mile driven for personal cars driven for business purposes.

From the information that you have provided me, you receive a reimbursement payment from the Churches (which I am assuming therefore, that you will receive a 1099-Misc at end of the tax year), and so would be allowed to deduct 50.5 cents per mile as the work performed by you appears to be a requirement by your employer for which you are not being reimbursed.

In terms of the record keeping, clearly one would like to keep official receipts but for mileage records, you won’t have a receipt! Therefore, it is recommended that you should list your odometer readings to claim mileage. It is suggested that you should mark your vehicle’s odometer daily business mileage in a diary or a daily planner.

In this manner, at least you will be able to substantiate to the IRS in an event of an audit, that you incurred some business mileage and had the auto mileage log to support your mileage position.

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auto Lease Expense teleminder Auto Expenses 0 05-19-2008 04:10 PM
Entire CPA fee deductible business expense for amended return? ripples Sole-Proprietorship 4 02-24-2008 10:44 PM
For self-employed taxpayers, can we deduct commuting miles to business location? Majid Sole-Proprietorship 1 03-29-2007 02:47 PM
Treatment of Auto lease expense on Corporate tax return? Sabby Auto Expenses 1 01-26-2007 11:45 AM
Can I take a payroll from my Self Employed Business Tertard Sole-Proprietorship 1 01-24-2007 02:00 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning

» Recent Tax Q&A
No Threads to Display.