Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1
1099 Misc Question/Problem

My wife was alloted $3,000 for her 2007 Continuing Medical Education (CME) along with her regular salary.

The question I have is "are these perks that were supposed to pay for my Wife's CME supposed to be reported as a 1099-Misc income and be subject to S/E Taxes?

Also, my wife actually received a 1099-Misc in the amount of $6,000 but it was incorrectly stated, and should have been only $3,000. This was immediately acknowledged to be an error by my Wive's manager and another corrected 1099-Misc was submitted.

I am concerned that this may trigger an audit. Should I be concerned about this this?

Lastly, how must I report this 1099-Misc Income on my Tax return? Should I should it as Schedule C item and list my wife's expenses as part of unreimbursed employee business expenses? Tks.


Last edited by TaxGuru : 04-24-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Accidentally erased your question.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-24-2008, 12:36 PM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,413
Blog Entries: 3
To answer your first question, should the Perk have resulted in an 1099-Misc? Well, that all depends on your employer, but, generally, they are correct in my opinion based on the circumstances that you have outlined here. A perk can have a taxable consequence especially if they result in cash payments to individual employees.

My concern is did your wife spend the $3,000 for continuing medical education? If so, then there would be minimal tax impact for you, as you could report $3,000 as Schedule C income subject to S/E Taxes reduced by Medical Education expenses.

Regarding the wrong 1099-Misc, usually this does not trigger an audit especially in your circumstances. So, there is nothing to fear! Simply file an amended tax return as soon as possible and you would receive a slightly bigger refund.

Just include an explanation stating that the employer corrected the 1099-Misc which resulted in a reduction in 1099-Misc by $3,000.

I dont think the last paragraph is applicable here! I would recommend continuing the same strategy going forward by reporting the 1099-Misc as income subject to S/E taxes and including any seminar related expenses to offset this 1099-Misc Income.

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corrected 1099 Misc strelbert02 Income 3 04-30-2008 09:59 AM
how do you amend a 1099 misc? llbcsbiggs Miscellaneous 1 04-06-2008 04:05 PM
1099 MISC question dirwin76 Income 1 03-27-2008 10:25 AM
1099-misc Jaduexclens Income 1 02-22-2008 07:23 PM
1099 Question wcaamyg Income 3 02-17-2008 11:24 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning