Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2012, 06:10 PM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,399
Blog Entries: 3
How can taxpayer's extend the due date for filing their 2011 Individual Income tax return?

If a taxpayer is not able to file his or her 2011 federal individual income tax return by the due date of April 17th 2011, the taxpayer may be able to extend the date to file your tax return to October 15, 2012. This can be achieved by filing Form 4868, Application of Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

When you file Form 4868, extensions for filing income tax returns are automatic. The taxpayer does not need to provide any explanation or supporting documentation to the IRS.

Please be aware that an extension of time to file your return does not grant you any extension of time to pay your tax liability.

If you have a balance due on your tax return, your tax payment is due April 17, 2012. The IRS allows up to six months after the April 17, 2012 deadline to file an income tax return but, there are no extensions granted for tax payments. Thus, if a taxpayer does not make a tax payment by the due date, the IRS will impose interest and can assess potential penalties for all late tax payments.

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Illinois State extends the due date for filing of the personal income tax return, Form IL-1040. TaxGuru Illinois 0 01-30-2011 01:28 AM
What is the filing date for a New Corporation filing a short period return? TaxGuru C-Corporation 0 07-02-2009 10:10 AM
Can Taxpayer's expect to get a Tax Refund from their CA Individual Income Tax Return? TaxGuru California 0 06-26-2009 07:20 PM
What is the due date for filing my LLC return? johncroy Limited Liability Company 1 02-20-2007 12:10 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning