Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2008, 12:27 PM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,405
Blog Entries: 3
2007 Tax Credit for a Hybrid Vehilces

What are Hybrid Vehicles?
These are vehicles that have drive trains powered by both an internal combustion engine and a rechargeable battery. There are many hybrid vehicles that currently may qualify for this tax credit. According to the IRS, "Taxpayers may claim the credit on their 2007 tax returns only if they placed a qualified hybrid vehicle in service in 2007." Further, the IRS has stated that "as of March 2007, more than 40 different models of hybrids were/are eligible for the credit."

What factors determine how much Tax Credit can be claimed?
A taxpayer who bought a hybrid vehicle in 2007 may be entitled to a tax credit on the 2007 return. For the Tax Year 2007, this credit is worth as much as $3,000 for the most fuel-efficient models. But, the amount of tax credit depends on the following factors:

1. The Make of the hybrid vehicle.
2. The Model of the vehicle.
3. When the vehicle was purchased.

The tax credit for hybrid vehicles, called the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit, applies to vehicles purchased or placed in service on or after January 1, 2006.

Who can claim this Hybrid Tax Credit?
In order to qualify to receive this tax credit, the taxpayer must be the original purchaser of a new qualifying vehicle. Hence, it would not be available to taxpayers who are leasing a hybrid vehicle!

What are the IRS Limits set on total amount of annual available Tax Credits?
The IRS has ruled "if 60,000 hybrid or advance lean burn technology vehicles of a particular manufacturer are sold, the tax credit is reduced and eventually eliminated. The full credit can be claimed up to the end of the third month after the quarter in which the manufacturer sells its 60,000th hybrid vehicle."

You can go to the IRS.gov website and search for “qualified hybrid vehicles to determine if your vehicle qualifies for this tax credit. Also, for more information on this subject, please refer to Form 8910, Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit.

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who is eligible to claim a Child Tax Credit in 2007? TaxGuru Tax Credit 0 03-05-2008 08:02 PM
New Tax Law changes for Adoption Credit in 2007 TaxGuru General 0 02-27-2008 07:05 PM
Are Theft losses incurred in 2007 deductible on my 2007 tax return? presley Miscellaneous 1 01-13-2008 02:05 PM
Is Non-Combat Pay includable for Earned Income Credit in 2007? TaxGuru Income 0 12-11-2007 06:15 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning