Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2011, 11:58 AM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,413
Blog Entries: 3
Can a Taxpayer receive a Tax Refund for 2010 if they are currently enrolled in a payment plan to pay off past federal tax liabilities?

Taxpayers have frequently asked this question, "can I receive a tax refund if I am currently in a payment plan for prior year's federal taxes?"

Well, as a condition of IRS agreement, "any refund due you in a future year will be applied against the amount the taxpayer owes."

Taxpayers should note that the taxpayer "must continue making the installment agreement payments as scheduled because a tax refund is not considered as a substitute for your regular payment due."

Also, it is worth noting that some taxpayers "may not get all of your refund if they owe certain past-due amounts, (apart from the Federal Income Tax Liabilities), state tax, a student loan, or child support.

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How does a taxpayer determine whether or not he or she is required to file a Federal Income Tax return for 2010? TaxGuru Income 0 01-30-2011 11:44 AM
Filing to receive overpayment of past income tax after 501c3 approval pt95 Filing Requirements 0 11-20-2009 03:20 PM
What does an Enrolled Retirement Plan Agent Program (ERPA) Do? TaxGuru Retirement Planning 0 08-19-2008 12:06 PM
What is an “Enrolled Retirement Plan Agent (ERPA”)? TaxGuru Retirement Planning 0 08-19-2008 12:02 PM
Can a Taxpayer receive a tax refund if they owe the IRS for prior years taxes? TaxGuru General 0 05-18-2008 03:04 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning