Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Samatg's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 291
Moving Soon? Let the IRS Know

If you changed your home or business address, notify the IRS to ensure that you receive any refunds or correspondence. While the IRS uses the Postal Service’s change of address files to update taxpayer addresses, notifying the IRS directly is still a good idea.

There are several ways to do this.

• On your tax return: You may correct the address legibly on the mailing label that comes with your tax package or write the new address in the appropriate boxes on your tax return when you file.
• Form 8822: You may use Form 8822, Change of Address, to submit an address change at any time during the year.
• Verbal Notification: If an IRS employee contacts you about your account, you may verbally provide a change of address.
• Written Notification: Write to the IRS center where you file your return and provide your new address. The mailing addresses for the IRS centers are in the tax instruction booklet. In order to process your address change, you will need to provide your full name, old and new addresses, your social security number or employer identification number, and signatures. If you filed a joint return, you should provide the same information for both spouses. If you filed a joint return and have since established separate residences, you should each notify the IRS of your new addresses.

In addition to notifying the IRS directly you should notify the U.S. Postal Service. You may file a change of address with your local post office in person or via the internet at USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service). The USPS-United States Official Change of Address Form via the website is safe and secured.

It's a good idea to notify your employer of your new address so that you can get your W-2 forms on time.

If you change your address after filing your return, don't forget to notify the post office at your old address so your mail can be forwarded.

You should also notify the IRS if you make estimated tax payments and you change your address during the year. You should mail a completed Form 8822, Change of Address, or write the IRS center where you file your return. You can continue to use your old pre-printed payment vouchers until the IRS sends you new ones. Do not correct the address on the old voucher.

You can download Form 8822, Change of Address at the IRS Web site, IRS.gov, or order by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning