Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 AM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,413
Blog Entries: 3
Where should the recognized gain from the sale of a principal residence be reported?

The recognized gain from the sale of a principal residence should be reported on Form 1040 Schedule D.

1. The entire recognized gain will be reported on Schedule D, (that would be the result of the difference between the selling price less cost basis on the sales of the residence).

2. Any exclusion is reported directly beneath the gain as a loss described as
“IRC Sec. 121 Exclusion.”

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sale of a non principal residence needhelp Capital Gains 2 12-30-2009 06:47 AM
How is the Capital Gain reported on an Installment Sale? TaxGuru Capital Gains 0 01-05-2009 12:50 PM
How much US tax do I have to pay on the gain on sale of foreign property in the UK? aoraha C-Corporation 0 08-05-2008 06:31 PM
Tax Implication for sale of adjacent lot on Principal Residence? TaxGuru Capital Gains 0 07-24-2008 12:47 PM
Sale of Principal Home Adam Capital Gains 1 01-16-2007 10:04 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning