Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2010, 11:34 AM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,401
Blog Entries: 3
What are the requirements for shareholders to be eligible for Section 1244 Stock treatment?

In order for a corporation and its shareholders to be eligible for Section 1244 Stock, the IRS has stated that the following tests must be met;

1. The amount of money and/or property the corporation received for stock, a contribution to capital, and paid-in capital does not exceed $1,000,000.

2. A shareholder claiming a loss on the sale or exchange of Section 1244 Stock purchased the stock from the corporation as an original issue and is an individual or partnership.

3. The issued stock must be either common stock or preferred stock.

4. The issued stock was paid for with money or property, not services or other stock or securities.

5. The corporation derived over 50% of its total gross receipts from sources other than rents, royalties, dividends, interest, annuities, or proceeds from sales or exchanges of securities either for the 5 years prior to the year in which the loss occurred or since the corporation’s inception, if it has not been in existence for 5 years.

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dissolving an S corp with outstanding loans to shareholders ldbrownaz S-Corporation 0 09-02-2009 07:07 AM
S Corporation loans to shareholders GECZ S-Corporation 2 05-11-2009 08:57 AM
Does Alabama allow the filing of composite returns for S corporation shareholders? TaxGuru Alabama 0 12-18-2008 01:43 AM
How are capital losses passed to the shareholders of a C Corporation? Andreas C-Corporation 1 02-24-2007 11:47 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning

» Recent Tax Q&A
No Threads to Display.