Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2007, 01:25 AM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,413
Blog Entries: 3
Can I deduct alimony paid to my former spouse?

The IRS tax law specifically states that "if you are divorced or separated, you may be able to deduct the alimony or separate maintenance payments that you are required to make to your spouse or former spouse, or on behalf of that spouse."

The deduction is taken only on Form 1040 (long form only) and shown as an adjustment to your income on Line 31a. The IRS requires the Social Security Number for the spouse receiving the Alimony.

The code section defines Alimony as a "payment to or for a spouse or former spouse under a divorce or separation instrument. The code sections specially excludes voluntary payments that are not made under a divorce or separation instrument.

For more details, please refer to IRS Publication 504. Please click on IRS link below to get more detailed discussion on this subject.

Publication 504 (2006), Divorced or Separated Individuals

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Last edited by TaxGuru : 11-29-2007 at 01:35 AM.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning