Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,405
Blog Entries: 3
What form is used to report the Sale of Business Property?

IRS Form 4797 is used to report the "sale or exchange of property used in a trade or business; depreciable and amortizable property; oil, gas, geothermal, or other mineral properties; and IRC section 126 (certain cost-sharing payments) property."

In addition, the Form 4797 is also used to report the following:

1. The involuntary conversion of property used in a trade or business and the capital assets held in connection with a trade or business or a transaction entered into for profit, as well as the disposition of non-capital assets other than inventory or property held primarily for sale to customers in the ordinary course of a trade or business.

2. The disposition of capital assets not reported on IRS Schedule D.

3. The recapture of IRC section 179 expense deductions for partners and S Corporation shareholders from property dispositions by partnerships and S corporations. The deduction allows for up to the entire cost of certain depreciable business assets, other than real estate, in the year purchased, which may be used as an alternative to depreciating the asset over its useful life. Taxpayers cannot use the IRC section 179 deduction to the extent that it would cause them to report a loss from their business.

4. The computation of recaptured amounts under IRC section 179 and IRC section 280F(b)(2), when the business use of section 179 or listed property drops to 50% or less (IRC section 179 -The limitation on depreciation for luxury automobiles; limitation where certain property is used for personal purposes).

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1099s served for Short Sale on Invest Property karlsd Capital Gains 0 12-06-2009 12:11 AM
How does a taxpayer report a loss on sale of a rental property on their tax return? TaxGuru Rental Real-Estate 0 09-15-2009 01:33 AM
Sale of business property mlci Capital Gains 0 03-11-2009 07:30 PM
How much US tax do I have to pay on the gain on sale of foreign property in the UK? aoraha C-Corporation 0 08-05-2008 06:31 PM
Capital Losses on the sale of Second home turned into Rental Property? emc2005 Capital Gains 1 07-30-2007 05:52 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning