Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2007, 07:09 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1

Hey Guru

A little - late, but am hoping to get an answer in time.

I am in a partnership, where we both are sustained by it.

The business is run out of our apartment, so the business pays for the apartment.

Food and daily necessities - same thing.

We have not taken from the business - ie put money into our own bank account - so do we have to report an income on our taxes?

I am filing an extension - so I am hoping to be able to estimate properly.

Thanks in advance,

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2007, 01:47 AM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,413
Blog Entries: 3
Dear Weber,

A partnership tax return generates a K-1 that represents a distributive share of income or losses that is attributable to each partner of the partnership. From the facts of your particular situation, it appears that there may be no profits and you may even have losses sustained from your operations. But, the fact that you have not taken money from the Partnership is irrelevant to whether or not you have profits or not, you could have made profits and not taken a distribution.

Again, you could have paid personal expenses from the partnership and have no money left in the account. These personal expenses would be characterised as a distribution, which could result a net profit for the partnership.

However, I noticed that you are claiming rent from the apartment! Did you receive a 1099-Misc for rents received? This is taxable to you or your partner!!! Also, food and necessities are not a deductible expense for your information, so exclude these amounts from your expenses and recompute your profit and loss statement and determine if you still sustained a loss.

I would include Rental income in your calculation for estimated income tax and make an estimated tax based on this income (your effective tax rate x total rent paid/received). Later on, you can have your CPA determine whether or not this rent should in fact be includable in your income. Therefore, file your extension making a payment to IRS based on the above along with other income that you may have.

The IRS could make a case that the Rent paid for your apartment looks more like a distribution rather than an expense. So, better to check with your CPA to determine if you are taking a deduction within the IRS guidelines.

If unclear at this time and your books are not prepared, I would suggest you file an extension for the partnership, and you generally pay no tax at the partnership level, so this should not cost you any money!

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Last edited by TaxGuru : 04-18-2007 at 01:51 AM.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning