Buying a new house, need some help.
My fiancee and I are buying a new house in a month and had some questions about deductions when we file in April. Here is the setup:
* Getting Married in June
* Filing tax returns separately
* I own a house currently, she's not on the loan or the deed
* Renting out my current house
* Buying a new house together where I'm the co-signer, she's primary
* I've been paying most of the cost to close and the down payment
* I make more than she does
1. I'm 99% sure we qualify for the $8000 credit, but please tell me if I'm off
2. Do we both deduct half of the interest, taxes, closing on the new house?
3. Can I deduct interest on the mortgage on my rental and/or depreciation?
4. Does it make sense that I pay for all the costs on the new house? Does she have to be paying to write the new house deductions?
Thanks in advance for the help. I hope this post helps someone else in the same position I'm in.