Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:06 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1
Filing 2016 taxes

Tax returns are due today. We do not agree with how our taxes have been figured and do not have the money to pay. What are our options?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,241
You need to talk with the IRS.If you owe taxes and did not pay them on April 18, IRS penalties and interest might still accrue based on the amount you owe, even if you have a filed and accepted extension.Whether you filed a tax extension because you weren't ready to file a tax return, or because you weren't able to pay your taxes, the steps below will guide you through what to do next.
1. The extension only applies to your paperwork, not to tax payments you owedon't panic! Second, don't delay the time to file your tax return! You should always file your return on time to minimize your tax penalties. Even if you can pay nothing, you should file on time to avoid a greater tax penalty. The IRS recommends. If you cannot scrape up the funds to pay your amount due in full when you file your return, you can pay off your debt over time by applying for an installment agreement. You may qualify for an online installment payment agreement with the IRS as long as you owe $50K or less. The IRS states that a direct debit payment plan is the best option because this plan is a lower-cost, hassle-free way to pay, and the set-up fee is less than other payment plans. In addition, you don't have to worry about reminders, missed payments, or checks to write and mail. You can apply for the monthly payment plan via the IRS website or by completing and mailing Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request R YOU MAY Consider an Offer in Compromise: You can settle your tax debt for less than the full amount that you owe by applying for an offer in compromise with the IRS. This may be an option for you if you owe a large amount of tax, do not believe you will ever be able to pay off the entire amount, or if making a full payment will cause a financial hardship. To see if you qualify for an OIC, you can use the IRS Pre-Qualifier tool on their website.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taxes for 2015/2016 after divorce; OPM still has not divided pension tmom Divorce Tax Issues 5 07-12-2017 08:52 AM
What are the 2016 Major Tax Law Changes affecting 2016 Tax Filings? TaxGuru For 2016 0 02-12-2017 02:54 PM
Sold 2 properties in 2016, which do I pay taxes on? Both? None? ktbass Capital Gains 3 01-09-2017 06:32 PM
Taxes for 2015 and 2016 tmom For 2016 0 11-10-2016 12:31 AM
Filing taxes (married filing separate) Ithasca Itemized Deductions 1 12-21-2013 06:35 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning