Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1
educational assistance - reported on W2 or on paycheck?

I have been receiving tuition reimbursement from my employer and they pay the education institution directly. Once the reimbursement reaches $5250 for the year I know that I am responsible for paying taxes on the assistance over that amount. In my last paycheck my employer included the tuition amount as income, thus I was taxed on it which brought my take home amount to nearly zero. Are they allowed to handle the tuition this way, or are they supposed to report it as income on my W2, which I would then report on my taxes and pay taxes on?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Under what circumstances will the Government cancel an Educational Loan? TaxGuru Education Planning 0 06-30-2009 07:38 PM
Section 529 Qualified Higher Educational Expenses Dadianio Education Planning 2 04-30-2009 04:11 PM
Free Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Samatg For 2008 0 03-03-2009 03:13 PM
Free Tax Assistance for Members of the Military Samatg General 0 02-27-2009 04:51 PM
How much can an Employer pay his employee for Educational Assistance Program in 2007? Redden Income 1 04-02-2008 10:55 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning