Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

For 2016 Tax Tips For Year 2016.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
claiming child as dependent in co-parenting situation?

I am doing a sort of co-parenting with a women. I donated for her child who is a delightful toddler now. The child lives with her in another state, but I have been providing temporary financial support to them.

I would like to claim the child on my taxes, as I'm a higher tax bracket and expect a larger discount for claiming her then her mother would get. I believe I can, but want to verify that It is legal and acceptable before I do so.

She is biologically my daughter. She does not live with me, but I think so long as he mother fills out the 8332 form (and doesn't claim the child as well) I can still claim her despite this? I'm also not certain how one defines 50% of the child's support, as some things like the expense of home, go only partially towards supporting the child and are partially supporting the mother. How do I define exactly how much financial support I must have provided to reach the degree needed to claim the child? I'm pretty confident I would have met that level, but do not want to risk misfiling.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Claiming my girlfriend as dependent carsonjames92 Sole-Proprietorship 1 11-07-2016 05:47 PM
claiming dependent college child k96bill Income 4 02-16-2014 10:19 PM
If same-sex spouses (who file using the married filing separately status) have a child, which parent may claim the child as a dependent TaxGuru For 2013 0 02-10-2014 06:10 PM
Divorce decree says husband can claim child as dependant - child turned 18, now wife says she is claiming son - Help. MacieRayne Divorce Tax Issues 2 02-07-2014 01:03 PM
Claiming the Child and Dependent Care Credit Samatg General 0 03-15-2007 07:50 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning

» Recent Tax Q&A
No Threads to Display.