Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
Amended Income Filing

So apologies right off the bat, as I was unsure exactly which subforum this should go under.

I am a college student, a delivery driver, a renter, and car owner. As such, I itemized my taxes on my own for the first time this year. I filed too quickly, without having taken time to contemplate and review my return in entirety. I realized yesterday I goofed on the mileage reimbursement as H&R block didn't have an obvious field for this, so I instead calculated the unreimbursed mileage value per the IRS standard amount of 54 cents per mile, and I placed that on the field "Unreimbursed employee expenses - job travel, union dues, job education, etc. On top of that, I realized I had forgotten to deduct excise tax on my vehicle.

So this evening I attempted to amend my taxes via H&R block. Doing this, I encountered two problems.

1.) They wouldn't let me file the amendment online, which I found odd. Is there a way to file an amended federal return online?
2.) The "refund amount" dropped from $3025 to $203. Is this because the amended return is in itself a separate return? In other words, is this an additional $203 on top of my initial $3025 return?

Now onto state taxes, I am a Maine resident. H&R block was giving me a hard time filing state taxes, so I did them on the Maine i-file website. It wasn't until tonight that I realized I would have to amend my state taxes, too. Since I filed state taxes on i-file, H&R couldn't submit an amended version. Now I have two State tax returns, one filed through i-file, and one unfiled but amended to my amended federal return.

Should I amend my state taxes through i-file with my amended federal tax information, and submit both? Or should I wait until the IRS received my amended federal taxes before amending my state taxes?

This is my second year filing my own taxes, so a lot of this is still really confusing to me. I understand this was a long winded post covering a wide array of tax topics, but I'd really appreciate some help as I seriously need to receive my refund without any snares!

Thank you!


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Filing Amended Returns for Periods Working Under Table BoBrown Income 1 07-06-2016 07:14 PM
Filing an amended return as "final" paulz S-Corporation 2 11-14-2014 10:48 AM
Filing amended return AFTER Notice of Deficiency junealec Income 1 05-10-2014 02:58 AM
how to file amended return due to Sch E NOL and no other income sallymorse Rental Real-Estate 3 10-17-2013 12:32 PM
What is the statute of limitations for filing an Arkansas amended corporation income TaxGuru Arkansas 0 12-10-2008 12:20 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning