My wife and I got married in July of 2016, so now we are faced with filing with a married status.
Not only is this a new step for the both of us, but there are some other twists. First the facts:
My questions are:
- I am a US citizen working in Texas.
- She is a Canadian citizen who has a US permanent residence card and a SSN, because she is a status Native American.
- She was working a job in Canada until she moved down with her son (my step son) this past year (2016) and she also picked up a job here in Texas.
- Her Canadian job allowed her to continue to collect a check and work remotely from Texas until the beginning of this past summer. Now she only has her US job in Texas.
- I paid for my step son's daycare expenses during this year.
Should we file jointly and do we include her income from her Canadian job?
Should I claim my Canadian step son as a dependent even if he doesn't have a US SSN?