Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2016, 03:16 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1
Tax Exempt Income

i am 66 but have been off work this entire year due to a work place accident. I draw $45,000 TAX FREE in workers Comp checks. I also receive $24,000 this year in social security.
I plan to retire in 2017, so would it benefit me to take some of my 401K out before the end of this year (2016) since I won't owe any taxes on my income.
I have a decent sized 401K that is mostly TAX deferred

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2016, 11:57 AM
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,241
basically, If you have income from other sources besides Social Security, it is possible that a portion of your Social Security income will be taxable. Whether it is, and how much of it is taxable, depends on your marital status and your total income from all sources. your 401(k) withdrawal will be taxed at the various tax rates listed, depending on your filing status and the taxable income shown on your tax return.
The good news for you in your particular situation is that because you are older than 59 1/2, the 10 percent additional tax penalty will not apply.So you need to pay tax on yoru soc sec benefits aslongas your MAGI(50% of your soc sec benefits + 401K withdrawal income) is $32K for married couples filing jointly.
$25K for single, head of household, qualifying widow/widower with a dependent child, or married individuals filing separately who did not live with their spouses at any time during the year.
$0 for married persons filing separately who lived together during the year, then you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.If your taxable income is zero then you do not need to pay tax on 401k early withdrawal or on your social security benefits. For professional help I recommend you contact a n Enrolled Agent or a CPA in your local area

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax-Exempt income in a Foreign country rjenkins Income 1 07-10-2014 09:58 PM
The IRS Reminds Tax-Exempt Organizations of All Sizes to File the Form 990 on Time to Preserve Their Tax Exempt Status Samatg Tax News 0 01-21-2010 02:56 PM
Am I required to report tax-exempt dividends on my state income tax return? InTheWindyCity Income 1 03-14-2008 09:57 AM
Tax Exempt???? cupid2161 Income 3 02-11-2008 05:36 PM
What is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt status? Robbie Non-Profit Organisation 1 01-03-2008 07:39 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning