Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

For 2014 Tax Tips For Year 2014.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1
Tax questions while working abroad

Dear all, thanks for the great forums - they've been extremely helpful!

I have few questions regarding filing my Taxes for the past two years (2013 and 2014). I realize I'm late to file but I didn't know I had to file while working abroad.

My wife and I are US citizens. I got a job offer in a foreign country for a foreign company. My package included my salary, a housing allowance (company gives me X amount to go towards against my housing - I can of course add more money and rent a bigger house, or get a smaller house and pocket the rest). in addition to few other benefits (like health insurance...etc, education allowance for kids schools (they reimburse).

I have the following questions please:

1- I plan to file 2013 and 2014 taxes with my wife jointly (we didn't know we had to file).
A) What's the maximum limit for tax exclusion for both of us? (I heard it's around 95k per person).
B) Does my wife have to be working during this period to get her 95k exclusion?)
C) If wife had to work, does it matter how much she makes? (I make slightly over 100k a year).

2- Do I have to pay taxes for the housing allowance? and If I can exclude the housing allowance (around $2000 a month), do I exclude the amount the company pays me, or do I exclude the rent amount (around $1800? for my house rent - i.e. I'm pocketing $200 per month)

3- Do I need to pay taxes for employer's reimbursement amounts for kid's schools?

4- I have a professional babysitter that takes care of our children. I pay her alot - can this be excluded from taxes? if so, how do I provide evidence for it (I don't have receipts, but i can have her sign a letter that attests to her compensation). The babysitter is not a US citizen.

5- I stayed in the foreign country since 2012. in 2013 I did remain there for at least 330 days, however in 2014, I traveled a lot (for work and vacation). part of the travel was a couple of weeks visiting family in the US, and the rest is in other countries. I stayed in the foreign country where I work for around 320 days or so. Am I not going to be excluded for 2014? do I have to pay full taxes for all of my income?

Note: I would appreciate if you guide me as to which form I need to fill out for each one of these. Thanks a lot in advance!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dependent living abroad mglpbuga65 Income 6 01-17-2015 10:30 PM
How to file (U.S. income abroad) domp For 2013 5 02-03-2014 11:56 AM
Company Car Abroad Jialin Auto Expenses 1 07-23-2012 09:00 PM
u.s. citizen working abroad - do i still need to file for u.s. taxes? doub Income 5 04-28-2012 02:36 AM
IRS to Waive Est Tax Penalty for U.S. Citizens or Residents Living and Working Abroad Samatg Tax News 0 02-13-2007 04:37 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning