Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Closed business

How do I account for closing my business?

I was behind on taxes and I had someone willing to pay the taxes in exchange for the business. The money he put out is/was less than the store was worth (although it was not appraised). Is this considered a sale? Or do I list that it was closed. How do I show this on my balance sheet?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 AM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,413
Blog Entries: 3
The fact that you had accepted an amount that was used to pay off your taxes in exchange for the ownership of your business, this fact alone shows your intent on valuing your business at a price equal to the total tax liability that was settled by the buyer of your business. I would think that this arrangement appears to be a sale! Though you state that the value appears considerably below what you perceive the value to be.

You would indicate "Final' on your business tax return and as such on a final tax return you may wish to exclude the balance sheet, and if you are qualified you perhaps should take this option.

Since you may have had a loss on the sale of your business, you could be entitled to deduct this loss as an ordinary loss (more favorable than a capital loss) if the assets that you sold as a part of the business are what is known as Sec 1231 property, assets that are generally used in Trade or Business.

The IRS tax code has stated that any gains on Section 1231 assets are taxed at the favorable Capital Gains rates (except for depreciation recapture), and any losses that are sustained as a result of a sale of these assets are tax deductible as Ordinary Losses. I would suggest that you contact your CPA or tax advisor and identify any assets that would qualify for section 1231 tax treatment! This would result in a favorable tax treatment for you!

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help, Closed S Corporation in NJ NewGuy30 S-Corporation 1 10-21-2008 09:09 AM
What would be deductible business expenses for my new retail business? frankietan Sole-Proprietorship 0 05-05-2008 07:30 PM
How can I take advantage of business losses in my unincorporated business? larry Sole-Proprietorship 1 01-24-2008 06:15 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning

» Recent Tax Q&A
No Threads to Display.