Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Samatg's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 291
Post How to Correctly Claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2008 Return

The IRS sent taxpayers nearly 119 million economic stimulus payments last year. When filing a 2008 federal tax return, taxpayers will need to know the amount of their stimulus payment to properly determine if they are eligible for a recovery rebate credit.

Here are six tips for finding how much you received and correctly claiming the credit on your return.
  1. Get your notice. Check the amount listed on Notice 1378, which the IRS mailed last year to individuals who received the economic stimulus payment.
  2. Visit IRS.gov to find the amount. If you don’t have your Notice 1378, go to the “How Much Was My 2008 Stimulus Payment?” tool that is available on the IRS Web site, IRS.gov. This tool can provide the correct amount in a matter of a few seconds.
  3. Call the IRS at 1-866-234-2942. If you don’t have Internet access, call the IRS. After a brief recorded announcement, select option one to find out the amount of your economic stimulus payment. You will need to provide your 2007 filing status, Social Security Number and the number of exemptions claimed on the tax return.
  4. Keep the amount handy. With the amount of last year’s economic stimulus payment in hand, you will be able to enter the figure on the recovery rebate credit worksheet or in the appropriate location when your tax preparation software requests it. This number will not appear on your actual tax return but is vital to ensure the accurate determination of the recovery rebate credit amount.
  5. Trust the software or the worksheet to get it right. Tax preparation software will automatically and correctly calculate the amount of the rebate recovery credit for you. The software will also properly report the credit on your tax return. If you are filing a paper return, the worksheet will guide you in calculating the proper amount of the credit. The recovery rebate credit should be reported on Line 70 of Form 1040, Line 42 of Form 1040A or Line 9 of Form 1040EZ. In order to avoid an error, use extra care when responding to the software questions or when completing the worksheet. Do not enter the stimulus payment directly on your return.
  6. Most taxpayers won’t qualify for more. For most taxpayers, the correct entry for the recovery rebate credit line on the return will either be blank or zero because they have already received the money as a stimulus payment. If you would like the IRS to determine the correct amount of your recovery rebate credit you should enter "RRC" on the recovery rebate credit line of your return. The IRS will determine whether you qualify for a recovery rebate credit and, if so, how much.
Links:source: irs.gov

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IRS Offers Tips to Avoid Recovery Rebate Credit Confusion Samatg For 2008 0 01-30-2009 07:40 PM
Can taxpayers claim the tax credit in 2008 for a home bought in 2009? TaxGuru Homeowner Tax 0 01-29-2009 03:02 AM
Four Tips to Help Taxpayers Avoid Errors On the Recovery Rebate Credit Samatg For 2008 0 01-27-2009 10:40 PM
IRS says its not too late to file your tax return to claim your Stimulus Rebate! TaxGuru For 2008 0 07-27-2008 12:50 PM
How do you correct a tax return that was not correctly filed? aron Miscellaneous 1 04-04-2007 08:19 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning