Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3
Registering a Sole Proprietorship in Missouri

I am currently working with an individual to help him figure out what all he needs to register his new sole proprietor business in the state of Missouri. What are the forms needed to legally start his business and optain his tax and business id's? He is the only owner and has no employees under him. Where would he optain and file the forms within the state? He is also, currently setting up his business name and EIN number, but is unaware of what else he needs.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 AM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,413
Blog Entries: 3
Here are some of the things you need to do for your friend.

1. You’ll will need to first choose a business entity type.
The Secretary of State's office "offers useful information in this area and the ability to perform many required filings online" at the following website;
Missouri Secretary of State Robin Carnahan :: Corporations Division :: Starting a Business

2. You need to Obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number
Your friends business may need a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN). which you can do it online with the IRS EIN Form. Here is an IRS link that would enable your friend to apply for an EIN#.

3. Register for a Tax Identification Number and an Unemployment Tax Number
If your friend plans to either sell products or hire employees, he will need to register with the Department of Revenue. This can be done at the "Online Business Tax Registration website https://dors.mo.gov/tax/coreg/index.jsp, which allows taxpayers to enter the information only once and have it used for several registrations such as the following tax types as shown below;

Sales Tax
Vendor's Use Tax
Consumer's Tax
Withholding Tax
Unemployment Tax
Tire/Battery Fee
Corporate Income/Franchise Tax

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Missouri State Tax Information TaxGuru Missouri 0 09-22-2008 10:18 PM
How many Corporation Income Tax Rates does Missouri State have for Tax Year 2008? TaxGuru Missouri 0 09-06-2008 03:24 PM
converting S-Corp to sole proprietorship drcasey S-Corporation 1 07-30-2008 11:33 PM
How do I go about registering for taxes if I am going to do Business in New Jersey? mcrowe C-Corporation 2 03-28-2008 08:34 PM
Sole Proprietorship LLC jerrod Sole-Proprietorship 1 03-04-2008 11:02 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning