Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Samatg's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 291
Smile Special Charitable Contributions for Certain IRA Owners

As an alternative method for donating to a charity, certain taxpayers may transfer funds from their IRA to an eligible charitable organization. Here are ten things taxpayers who are thinking about making such a donation will need to know.

1. The IRA owner must be age 70 ½ or older.

2. The donor must directly transfer the money tax-free to an eligible organization.

3. The maximum amount that an IRA owner may transfer annually tax-free is $100,000 to an eligible organization.

4. This option, created in 2006 and recently extended through 2009, is available to eligible IRA owners, regardless of whether they itemize their deductions.

5. Distributions from employer-sponsored retirement plans, including SIMPLE IRAs and simplified employee pension plans – commonly referred to as SEP Plans – are not eligible.

6. To qualify, the funds must be contributed directly by the IRA trustee to the eligible charity.

7. Amounts transferred are not taxable and no deduction is available for the amount given to the charity unless nondeductible contributions are transferred.

8. Not all charities are eligible. For example, donor-advised funds and supporting organizations are not eligible recipients.

9. Transferred amounts are counted in determining whether the owner has met the IRA’s required minimum distribution rules. Where individuals have made nondeductible contributions to their traditional IRAs, a special rule treats transferred amounts as coming first from taxable funds, instead of proportionately from taxable and nontaxable funds, as would be the case with regular distributions. If nondeductible contributions are transferred to an eligible organization, a charitable contribution deduction may be allowed if itemizing deductions.

10. More information about qualified charitable distributions can be found in Publication 590, Individual Retirement Arrangements.


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S Corp 2 owners tax question mike scott S-Corporation 0 12-11-2008 12:23 AM
Charitable deductions depstein1983 Itemized Deductions 1 07-09-2008 11:15 AM
Are there any special IRS withholding rules for severence pay? larry Miscellaneous 1 07-04-2008 10:44 AM
Are Charitable contributions fully deductible if made through a C corporation? pinky C-Corporation 0 07-15-2007 01:24 PM
Charitable Contribution limit for C Corporations! bookkeeping C-Corporation 1 01-29-2007 10:43 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning