Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
1099 Income not reported on correct year

A company that I used to do contract work for has sent me a 1099 for 2008.
I actually never did any work for them in 2008. I finished work for them in 2007 and all the work I did was performed in that year and billed by me to them in 2007.

I think they are trying to slide it into 2008 because they didn't get around to paying me until 2008.

Can they do that?

I appreciate all replies. Thanks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2009, 09:04 PM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,413
Blog Entries: 3
Really, the company cannot legally do that! But, the real question I have for you is did you report the 1099-Misc income in tax year 2007?

Assuming you did not report the income in 2007, than you have not properly reported your miscellaneous income in 2007. Therefore, the issue gets a little complicated here. This means that you have to amend your 2007 tax return to include this omission of the 1099-Misc income and pay the taxes and interest associated with this additional income being reported in tax year 2007through your amended tax return. Then, you should follow through the next step discussed below.

But, if you have reported this income in 2007 you can ask your CPA or tax preparer to declare this income as a schedule C income but take a deduction equal to the amount reported in 2007. An explanation should be attached to the tax return stating that this 1099-Misc income was claimed in tax year 2007. The net impact on your tax return is Zero additional taxable income.

At least that is what I have done in the past with many IT consultants who have received 1099-Misc erroneously in the wrong taxable year! A clear explanation is required showing what year the income was reported by the taxpayer.

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IRS reminds taxpayers that all "Income from Abroad" must be reported! TaxGuru Income 0 07-27-2008 08:32 PM
What can I do if some prior year 1099-MISC income was omitted from a 2006 tax return? Pearl Income 2 05-14-2008 09:54 PM
Income From Foreign Sources must be reported on the 1040 individual tax returns! TaxGuru Income 0 02-21-2008 11:58 PM
How do you correct a tax return that was not correctly filed? aron Miscellaneous 1 04-04-2007 08:19 PM
Choose Your Correct Filing Status Samatg General 0 01-23-2007 07:39 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning