Welcome Guest. Register Now!  



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1
Renting a Co-owned Condo

Hi all,

My parents are helping me out with my living situation. All three of us are on the mortgage, but they're paying the mortgage while I am paying the HOA and anything else that arises. However, I travel a lot, so I have been AirBnBing the unit while I am gone as of mid-August. My question is: have I gotten myself in a pickle here? When calculating the portion I needed to save for tax, I never even considered that it might effect them (poor foresight, I know). How does the taxation of that income work? Are they liable for some of that income, even though they don't even know I have been renting it, or is there a way to protect it from that? A bump up to the top tax bracket from mine would be painful to say the least.

Thanks,
Tim



Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,226
My parents are helping me out with my living situation. All three of us are on the mortgage, but they're paying the mortgage while I am paying the HOA and anything else that arises. However, I travel a lot, so I have been AirBnBing the unit while I am gone as of mid-August. My question is: have I gotten myself in a pickle here? ======>>>>>>>NO;HOA fees paid by you is not deductible those are your ordinary expenses of living. if you rented the unit out to tenants, you could deduct it as part of your operating expenses for rental property, but it is not deductible for your personal residence; nether is mortgage interest paid for you by other person.they can not deduct mortgage expenses paid for you on their return. If you are not legally liable for the debt you cannot claim the deduction for the mortgage interest
When calculating the portion I needed to save for tax, I never even considered that it might effect them (poor foresight, I know). How does the taxation of that income work?==========>>>>>>>you do not need to report it as income; it may be treated as a sort of gifts for you.


Are they liable for some of that income, even though they don't even know I have been renting it, or is there a way to protect it from that?======= >>>>>>unless you are the only beneficial owner of the property. as you are co-owners then you each need to report your share of the rental income. You will have to determine the %, which is usually based on the amount you each contributed to purchase the property. For example, if your family member paid 80% of the down payment and you paid the other 20%, then you must claim 20% of the income from that property.



Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2015, 06:54 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 16
if you rented the unit out to tenants, you could deduct it as part of your operating expenses for rental property, but it is not deductible for your personal residence; nether is mortgage interest paid for you by other person.they can not deduct mortgage expenses paid for you on their return



Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
Ads
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I determine land value for a condo jmleinenbach Rental Real-Estate 1 04-09-2014 09:13 AM
Convert rental condo to vacation home kareni Rental Real-Estate 1 03-20-2012 04:29 AM
Renting personally owned property to business hometaxprep CPA Forums 1 09-01-2011 07:15 PM
bought a condo in March 2010(California) mmmonforte Itemized Deductions 3 02-02-2011 09:54 PM
IRA owned shares of corporation BillsFan03 IRA/Sep 1 06-27-2008 04:14 PM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 
Individual
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 
Corporations
 » Payroll
 
Forum for CPAs
 
Financial Planning