What are the 2008 Alternative Minimum Tax Rates and Exemptions?
For the First $175,000 ($87,500 married, separate) of Alternative Minimum Taxable Income the Tax Rate = 26%.
If the AMTI (Alternative Minimum Taxable Income) is Over $175,000 the AMT Tax Rate = 28%.
The 2008 AMT Exemptions are as follows:
1. For Joint Filers, the AMT Exemptions are $45,000.
2. For Married Filing Separate, the AMT Exemptions are $22,500.
3. For Single Filing Status, the AMT Exemptions are $33,750.
4. For Head of household, the AMT Exemptions are $33,750.
5. For Estates & Trusts, the AMT Exemptions are $22,500.
6. For a Child subject to the Kiddie Tax, the AMT Exemptions are $6,400.
Bear in mind that all of these exemptions may change as Congress is considering some adjustments to these so that they be increased to keep pace with inflation.