Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Samatg's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 291
Post Tax Rates for a Child's Investment Income

Part or all of a child's investment income may be taxed at the parent's rate rather than the child's rate. Because a parent's taxable income is usually higher than a child's income, the parent's top tax rate will often be higher as well.

This special method of figuring the federal income tax only applies to children who are under the age of 18. For 2006, it applies if the child's total investment income for the year was more than $1,700. Investment income includes interest, dividends, capital gains, and other unearned income.

To figure the child's tax using this method, fill out Form 8615, Tax for Children Under Age 18 With Investment Income of More Than $1,700, and attach it to the child's federal income tax return.

Alternatively, a parent can, in many cases, choose to report the child's investment income on the parent's own tax return. Generally speaking, this option is available if the child's income consists entirely of interest and dividends (including capital gain distributions) and the amount received is less than $8,500. However, choosing this option may reduce certain credits or deductions that parents may claim.

These special tax rules do not apply to investment income received by children who are age 18 and over. In addition, wages and other earned income received by a child of any age are taxed at the child's normal rate.

More information can be found in IRS Publication 929, Tax Rules for Children and Dependents. This publication and Form 8615 are available on the IRS Web site at IRS.gov in the Forms and Publications section. You may also order them by calling the IRS at 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

  • Form 8615, Tax for Children Under Age 14 With Investment Income of More Than $1,600 (PDF 49K)
  • Form 8615, Instructions (PDF 24K)
  • Form 8814, Parent's Election to Report Child's Interest and Dividends (PDF 43K)
  • Publication 929, Tax Rules for Children and Dependents (PDF 220K)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning