Welcome Guest. Register Now!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2015, 04:02 PM
TaxGuru's Avatar
Tax Guru
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,413
Blog Entries: 3
Can a taxpayer change their Corporation from an S corporation to a C corporation?

In general, a taxpayer can convert an S corporation to a C corporation by voluntarily revoking the S election at any time.

Shareholders of an S Corporation may wish to convert to a C corporation because of changes in the tax laws or to provide the corporation with more flexibility as the business requirements changes.

The process of Converting to a C corporation clearly offers more potential for increasing the investor base and raising equity capital (if the corporation decides to go public). Furthermore, this also allows the Corporation "to offer a wider range of tax-deductible fringe benefits."

There are no specific form's that must be filed with the IRS to revoke the S election.

"It is sufficient for the corporation to file a statement titled Revocation of S Corporation Status with the IRS and signed by the person authorized to do so.

Furthermore, there should be a statement of consent signed by shareholders that, as a group, own more than 50 percent of the issued and outstanding stock of the corporation. However, to be effective on the 1st day of the corporation's taxable year (e.g., January 1), you must revoke the S election by the 15th day of the 3rd month of that tax year (e.g., March 15)."

Find a CPA near you!

Ask TaxGuru Please refer to the legal disclaimer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit! stumble!bookmark in google!Share on Facebook!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S Corporation Invested in C Corporation & Partner Partial Stock Sale johnshil S-Corporation 3 03-04-2014 04:23 AM
What can a Taxpayer do if they only filed a Federal S Corporation Election but did not File a CBT-2553 "New Jersey S Corporation Election?" TaxGuru New Jersey 0 07-30-2013 04:20 PM
Can a Taxpayer hold an S Corporation Stock in a ROTH IRA? TaxGuru S-Corporation 0 06-05-2012 03:41 PM
Anybody have experience in obtaining Late S Corporation elections for C corporation that go back a over 5 years? TaxExpert CPA Forums 0 01-28-2010 10:23 AM
Amending S Corporation due to 1 partner address change, what's the procedure? SusanT_NYCPA CPA Forums 0 01-27-2010 10:32 AM

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Google Buzz Rss Feeds

» Categories
 » Income
 » IRA/Sep
 » Medical
 » Payroll
Forum for CPAs
Financial Planning

» Recent Tax Q&A
No Threads to Display.